Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Hero (Sandwich) Takes A Fall (NYC, March 2009)

A Subway's Hero Sandwich hands out coupons at St. Marks Place and 2nd Ave. in Manhattan, across the street from the famous Gem Spa (see previous photo).

Back in the early 70s, my dad used to take me on walks to St. Marks Place and on this very same corner we'd almost always find several late-period Hippie chicks breastfeeding their infants in public. The sights and culture of St. Marks Place has changed over the years, but somehow the street remains true to itself. And... of course... this corner remains a good place to grab a bite! :)

This corner (the Northwest corner of St. Marks Place & 2nd Ave.) is also where one of my favorite movie theaters of all time used to be: The St. Marks Cinema (known as the Astor Theatre back in the 1910s & 1920s). From the mid-70s through the mid-80s I saw MANY movies here as I took advantage of their FANTASTIC movie deals: $2 for double features of very recent films! That was a bargain even back in the 70s and I just couldn't get enough of them! After the movie, I'd walk 1/4 block down to Freebeing Records and use my movie savings to buy some quality used Rock LPs -- also incredibly cheaply! Those, indeed, were the days!

St. Marks Cinema was -- tragically -- replaced by a Gap store which eventually and deservedly went out of business as well.

No comments: